Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Greg Mankiw on tradeoffs

Mankiw does a wonderful job of modeling civil discourse, fulfilling the role of the intellectual in society, a topic at the upcoming ASET book club.

He writes:

One thing I have been struck by in watching this debate is how strident it has been, among both proponents and opponents of the legislation. As a weak-willed eclectic, I can see arguments on both sides. Life is full of tradeoffs, and so most issues strike me as involving shades of grey rather than being black and white. As a result, I find it hard to envision the people I disagree with as demons.

Arthur Okun said the big tradeoff in economics is between equality and efficiency. The health reform bill offers more equality (expanded insurance, more redistribution) and less efficiency (higher marginal tax rates). Whether you think this is a good or bad choice to make, it should not be hard to see the other point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment