Friday, October 30, 2009

Steven Landsburg on Health Care

The answer is less insurance, not more, and private insurance, not public. In the long run, those health savings accounts are probably the best solution. In the interim, the single most effective way to cut health care costs in a hurry would be to eliminate the tax deduction for employer supplied health insurance. That deduction leads to immense overuse of health care resources, especially by rich people. That’s one good reason to eliminate the deduction, and here’s another: People would start shopping for insurance on their own instead of taking whatever their employers offer, which would make the insurance companies more responsive to consumer demands.

It saddens me that support for universal coverage and a public option has become, in many circles, a sort of litmus test for compassion and caring about the poor. It particularly saddens me to hear the president say that “What we face is a moral issue; at stake are not just the details of policy, but fundamental principles.” It’s the details of policy that change people’s lives. The moral imperative is to get them right.

1 comment:

  1. I have been accused of not believing we have a collective responsibility for our fellow man, a fear monger, and uncaring all because of what I have written in regards to the health care debate. I know in the end someone will have to make tough choices when it comes to my health care and I want it to be me or my loved ones, and not the state.

    ReplyDelete