Monday, May 27, 2013

Phoenix Comicon

Attended Phoenix Comicon with my son.

While this is not my genre, I did enjoy myself. Among the many activities during Comicon, I heard the author Adam Rex speak. Rex grew up in Phoenix and lives in Tucson. My brother in law gave Smekday to my daughter as a gift and what a great gift. I was impressed with the thoughtful, analytical and very humorous take on the process of writing and the intersection of writing with publishing. My children and wife love his work, I have The True Meaning of Smekday on my summer reading list.

To get a sense of Rex's humor and art, click 10 Reasons to Read Smekday.

The book is in development by DreamWorks for a movie to be released in 2014.

A customer review from Amazon:

I find myself wishing I had half of Adam Rex's genius with language so that I could at least come close to describing how much I loved reading this book. Tip and J.Lo are a Huck and Jim for the 21st century, and their adventures are everything adventures should be: dizzying, hilarious (truly, I laughed out loud, and I almost never laugh out loud), dazzlingly brave, and crisscrossed with every possible emotion, including sorrow and the kind of fierce, fearless, loyal love only children and renegade Boov can feel. The illustrations are marvelous, but the language is what really hooked me because the language is quirky and lovely and electric and exquisite. Right word after right word after right word until the very end. Mark Twain would be proud. Mark Twain would be jealous! Everyone, everyone should read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment