Thursday, November 11, 2010

Survey of knowledge

Like Boyes I begin my classes with a simple survey - I ask the following:

1. Who is the "father" of communisim?

2. Who is considered the "father" of capitalism?

In the 15+ years of surveying introductory students of economics (freshmen or sophomores) well over 50 per cent can answer Marx to the first question. Under 5 per cent answer Smith to the second and over two thirds cannot even venture a guess.

This tends to support Boyes, very, very few of our students have exposure or retention to the big ideas that shape the discourse of freedom, liberty and responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who teaches children I can honestly say it's easy to teach about Marx. When you cover the 20th Century in class you must teach two theories Marxism and Fascism. Capitalism is usually considered a "known" idea for most of the students so I do not spend a ton of time on it. As is 95% of my students could care less about any of these theories.

    ReplyDelete